Sunday, January 30, 2011

Old School Snapshot

Title: "Sisters, Golden Gate Park 2010"
(click on image to view larger)
  
Besides the fact that I love the subjects of this photo dearly, I love how this image connects to the long tradition of the family vacation snapshot - subjects posed in front of a water feature, image taken with grainy film, and printed in the darkroom with slightly high contrast. There are photo albums all over North America filled with images like this, and without the date in the title I think it would be easy to think this image was made in to early 1970s.

I was happy to get a bit of time in the darkroom this weekend. I shot 6 rolls of film with my Holga on this short trip to SF, and I've just made prints from two of the rolls. I want to get the rest of the frames printed, and then make a selection of them to use in a zine or chapbook. I'm looking forward to converting these into a precious, low-tech object.

1 comment:

J. M. Golding said...

Yay, time in the darkroom!

I can definitely see this as early 1970s too - there's a timeless quality to it, which might contain the possibility of detaching any particular technology from one historical era. That is, there doesn't have to be a one-to-one correspondence where all family snapshots from 2010 are necessarily digital. It sounds as if you have a fun project in mind!