Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Daily Practice 250/365

Title: "Mr. Floaty"
(click image to view larger)
  
I went back to work after a nice vacation, and two things occurred to me. The first was that I had not really explored the work place as a source of images for my daily practice. And the second was...that this flotation device is shaped like a bunny.
  
The shape of the device, which we use to incubate small reaction tubes in a water bath, has a certain irony. The campus where I work is renowned for its bunny population. Years ago, people started "donating" (i.e. dropped off in the dead of night) their no-longer-required domestic, pet bunnies. Over the years, with our mild winters and low predator population, and the verdant grasslands of the campus, the bunnies multiplied like, well, bunnies. To the point where as I leave campus at the end of the work day, I see herds and herds of the little darlings grazing the lands as far as my eye can see.
The POTB at the university decided that enough was enough, and it was time to cull the rabbit population....at which point the local media, national media (probably international media) and local citizenry got into the act. After much discussion, court actions, injunctions etc...hundreds of thousands of dollars will be spent (most raised privately) to capture the bunnies, sterilize them, and then send them to sanctuaries. Over 1,000 of the bunnies will actually go from our little Canadian island paradise to the wilds of Texas, where they will live out their days grazing in designated areas at an animal rescue facility.
Fortunately, I don't think Mr. Floaty has anything to worry about. Our other flotation device is shaped like a dragon - I don't think the fate of the dragon population on campus has been decided yet.

No comments: