Sunday, July 4, 2010

Daily Practice 185/365

Title: "Hard labour"
(click image to view larger)
Today I decided to expand on yesterday's darkroom experiment by using paper negatives to make lith prints. I found this nice, simple composition in the backyard (I've always admired similar images made by Adams and Weston), turned it into a digital paper negative and headed into the darkroom. I must say that compared to the excitement of the day before, today was more frustrating than satisfying. I really struggled to get a decent result. One good thing about keeping up a daily practice is it seems to level out the frustrations - if today didn't go as well as hoped, I know that I will definitely have another chance tomorrow. It also helps that I've been a scientist for so long - science is for eternally optimistic masochists because in spite of working extremely hard, typically experiments don't pan out 90% of the time. Fortunately the other 10% makes up for it all by the excitement and satisfaction it generates. Next time in the darkroom, I'll go back to making regular silver gelatin prints with paper negatives, since that process worked quite well. I'll have to work on the lith printing with these negatives over the course of a few weeks to get it more consistent.

1 comment:

J. M. Golding said...

Poking their heads out from between the boards, despite the odds... The gentleness of the light is lovely, and the combination of the clarity of the flower centers with the softness of the wood creates a dreamlike impression.