Sunday, August 23, 2009

Edges

The local shores are constantly calling to me, inspiring an endless obsession. Everywhere I look, I see still life images with qualities that would be difficult to replicate in the studio. The first, and most important being the arrangement of objects, which lacks any deliberate intention. The range of colours and tones. The intersection of edges, defining and dividing. Textures which help define three dimensions within a two dimensional image, lines which are un-selfconscious and draw the eye deeper into the composition. Yesterday at low tide, I shot 5 rolls of film and then made digital images until my battery ran low. Yes, all those pictures of rocks, kelp, the drawn landscape. For many, a superficial glance will suffice but for those who linger, a rich world lies within.

No comments: