Friday, December 17, 2010

Daily Practice 351/365

Title: "Transcendant life"
(click on image to view larger)
  
As my daily practice project comes to a close (but not my daily practice itself), I'm starting to reflect on what I've gained. This image illustrates one of the gains, because (1) I am more aware of my surroundings, and the play of light and shadow, and (2) I always have a camera with me, and am far more likely to document these little moments. That being said, there's much more to learn. Besides the pattern of shadow on the wall, what caught my eye in particular was the quality of light, both direct and indirect on the wall. I wasn't happy with the image as it came straight out of the camera, and do not have the requisite post-processing skills to really achieve the look as I remember it. So I have more to learn on that end of things. But something else I've learned from my daily practice is to consider the raw image as simply a starting point from which I will bring the image to a resolution. In this case, I decided to emphasize the patter of shadow, how it moves from middle left to top right and is anchored by an architectural detail. These are some of the elements, besides the quality of light, that made me decide to make an image in the first place, and I like how those compositional elements are resolved in the final image.

No comments: