Thursday, March 18, 2010

Daily Practice 77/365

Title: "Indirect expressions of love"
(click to view larger)
It's interesting how flowers that are fading and past their prime still cast strong shadows. This was the first image I made of the flowers, it was the first view I had of the still life and I immediately connected with it. I made a number of other images, some of which I quite like, but this one is the strongest for me. The wonderful thing about shadows is the fact they are indirect representations of objects in the real world. That indirectness forces us as viewers to make an intuitive leap to recognition, to make assumptions about what the object casting the shadow truly looks like. Shadows move in a blurry world, a world of fragmentary memories and desires. A worlds that is always enticing, calling out to us.

No comments: